MP Rémi Massé’s Constituency Youth Council (CYC) is part of the federal government’s commitment to give the young leaders of tomorrow an opportunity to engage with members of Parliament in the democratic process. This is a non partisan council.
The mandate of the CYC is to give young people aged 14 to 20 who live in the riding an opportunity to engage in open dialogue on federal government issues, to make recommendations to Rémi Massé and to promote a network for sharing views on regional development.
The Constituency Youth Council is made up of 14- to 20-year-olds recruited from the region’s educational institutions and through youth support organizations. A leader chosen by its members at the first Council meeting will represent the CYC. This individual will be the organizational link between CYC members and the MP’s team. Depending on the number of participants and taking into account the vastness of the constituency, local youth councils may be established.
– The role of CYC members is to advise the MP on local, regional or provincial issues and to foster an understanding of youth issues.
– The role of the MP is to promote democratic engagement and provide young people with an opportunity to improve their skills and their knowledge of politics and regional economic development by facilitating meetings with local stakeholders.
– The CYC will foster youth civic engagement.
– Anyone aged 14 to 20 who lives in the federal riding of Avignon-La Mitis-Matane-Matapédia can apply by completing the CYC application form.
– Each year at a given time, the Constituency Youth Council will welcome new members at the end of an application period.
– Members who wish to do so may continue to participate in the CYC.
– At least twice a year, the constituency office will organize a half-day CYC meeting. At this meeting, members will meet with the MP and guest speakers to discuss topics chosen by the CYC.
– The meetings will be divided into two parts. The first will be a discussion to identify the issues facing young people, and youth priorities for the riding and for Canada. The second part will centre on discussions with leaders in the riding.
– Meetings will be held in the constituency offices or in other spaces made available to us.
– At the first CYC meeting, the members will elect a leader who will be the liaison with the MP’s office. The members will also have to choose an assistant to the leader and an individual to be in charge of communications.
– This individual will be appointed for a one year term.
– The CYC leader will be responsible for organizing projects, presenting them liaising and ensuring cohesion among members.
People interested in participating in the Youth Council must complete the application form note later than Friday, December 15, 2017.
© 2018 Rémi Massé. All rights reserved.